DID YOU KNOW?
A monthly feature from MFD's Prevention Officer that highlights safety tips and reminders about common causes of fires and hazards in the home and community. Did you know? If not, find out here.
December 2016 - DID YOU KNOW?
The highest number of fatal fires occur within the winter months?
- Smoking and cooking are the top 2 causes of fatal fires during the holidays.
- Cooking fires account for 19% of all home fires during the holidays.
- Alcohol is a factor in many fatal fires. Cooking and alcohol don't mix!
- Take care when using space heaters, maintain 1 meter (39") of clearance from anything that can burn.
- Be sure to use a tree stand that can hold plenty of water at Christmas time and be sure to keep it full.
- Turn off holiday lights and decorations when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Prepare and practice a home fire escape plan with your entire family.
- Test and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
In case you missed one, here's an archive of past "Did You Know" reminders.
NOVEMBER 2016 - Carbon Monoxide detectors are mandatory in Ontario
OCTOBER 2016 - Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors Wear Out
SEPTEMBER 2016 - Clothes Dryer Safety
AUGUST 2016 #2 - Dormitory Safety
AUGUST 2016 #1 - Lightning
JULY 2016 - Summer Property CO & Smoke Alarms
JUNE 2016 - BBQ-Grilling Safety
MAY 2016 - Portable Generators
APRIL 2016 - Fire Permit Reminder
MARCH 2016 - Change The Clocks Change The Batteries
FEBRUARY 2016 - Fire Permits