Midland-Penetanguishene Joint Urban Node
On October 28, 2010, the Minister of Infrastructure, the Honourable Bob Chiarelli, released the “Proposed Amendment 1 to the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe for the Simcoe Sub-Area (GPA1)”. Once approved, the GPA1 would create a strong urban structure for the Simcoe Sub-Area, comprised of the Urban Nodes of Collingwood, Bradford, Alliston, Orillia, Barrie and Midland-Penetanguishene. Midland together with Penetanguishene are proposed to be designated as an Urban Node as was requested by the Towns and the County of Simcoe.
The Towns of Midland and Penetanguishene want to explore, with the input of our residents, what opportunities a “Joint Urban Node” could provide and how the Towns could plan for the proposed Joint Urban Node designation.
Three (3) meetings are planned be held:
- January 19, 2011 - Meeting #1 in Penetanguishene to gather public input from both communities
- February 17, 2011 - Meeting #2 in Midland to generate discussion on the issues identified at the first meeting and to identify future directions to be considered by the two Councils.
- Date TBA - Meeting #3 to be held in the spring of 2011, will report back on the findings and discussions between the two Towns on the future directions for the Joint Urban Node.
Note: On March 25th, 2011, the Minister of Infrastructure announced that the Office of the Provincial Development Facilitator had been directed to review Proposed Amendment 1 and report back with recommendations prior to November 1, 2011. The Towns of Midland and Penetanguishene are concerned about this additional delay in the process, however, the Joint Urban Node discussions will not be impacted and will continue to move forward.
- Midland-Penetanguishene Joint Urban Node - TASK FORCE REPORT
- Meeting #2 - Consultation Report
- Meeting #1 - Consultation Report
- Public Consultation Notice for Meeting #3 - June 16, 2011
- Public Consultation Notice for Meeting #2 - February 17, 2011
- Public Consultation Notice for Meeting #1 - January 19, 2011
Comments may be submitted to either Town at the following e-mail addresses or at each Town Hall:
Mayor McKay – email@example.com
Mayor Marshall – firstname.lastname@example.org
Eleanor Rath – email@example.com
Ted Walker – firstname.lastname@example.org
Wes Crown – email@example.com
Paul Hodgins – firstname.lastname@example.org