The Official Plan is prepared in accordance with the Planning Act and must adhere to all Provincial Planning Policies, as well as those policies of the County of Simcoe. The Town is the Approval Authority for Plans of Subdivision, Plans of Condominiums, and Part Lot Control By-laws while the County of Simcoe is the Approval Authority for the Town's Official Plan and amendments thereto. Council adopted the Official Plan in December 2002, and it was approved by the County of Simcoe in June 2003. This document is user friendly, and is accompanied by three ancillary maps:
- The Land Use Map identifies growth patterns that correspond with the designations while having regard for the physical and social elements of the community.
- The Green Map highlights municipal infrastructure, institutional resources and recreation amenities that have been developed as the Town has evolved.
- The Road Classifications Map identifies the arterial and collector roads, which will direct the major traffic movements in and through the community.
The Six Land Use Designations in the Official Plan are as follows:
- Employment Areas
- Downtown District
- Open Space District
- Environmental Protection
- Restricted Rural
The Official Plan identifies where all the major Residential, Commercial, and Industrial growth will occur in the Town over the next twenty years. The Official Plan has been structured to allow Council the greatest latitude of interpretation when reviewing development proposals.
Official Plan Amendments
A site-specific amendment to an Official Plan policy, or map amendment, requires Council's approval. The Official Plan Amendment process can take six months from application to final approval by the County. When Council considers an amendment to the Official Plan, public participation is encouraged and notification of the Public Hearing is advertised in the local papers. Please attend the hearing or submit your written comments, or call and ask questions, or visit Planning and Building Services to discuss any concerns or specific issues. For additional information on any application, please contact Planning and Building Services.
- Town of Midland Official Plan
- Schedule A - Land Use Map
- Schedule B - Green Map
- Schedule C - Road Classifications Map
- Official Plan Review and Update Project
- Official Plan Amendment Application
Download Official Plan 2002-88, as amended, in sections: