Sign In

Midland logo

Skip Navigation LinksMidland > Town Hall > Archives

​​midland archives.pngThis archive stores information from the past ten years. For more information on Midland's history, check out the History tab or visit ​the Simcoe Archives for more information.​​

For the most recent information on the Unimin development​, please visit the Midland Bay Landing page.​

 Award of Merit

2013 Award of Merit - Fred Hacker

Fred Hacker has devoted over four decades to family, church, profession and community in the Town of Midland. His extraordinary contributions have ranged from being an individual board member, Chair, trustee and advisor to many community and philanthropic organizations - to the strong example of corporate sponsorship through his law firm - to his collective contribution through his chosen service club – the Rotary Club of Midland from 1974 to present.
Fred Hacker.jpg
Fred has held numerous executive positions within the Rotary Club and was president from 1983 to 1984. He was the founding chair of the “Party on the Dock”, which now hosts more than 3000 guests annually and attracts people from across the region to this fundraising event celebrating summer and community. He was the founding Chair and TV host for 25 years of the “Rotary Auction”, a fundraising event that has raised more than $1,000,000 for community programs over the past 30 years. Fred has been honoured by his peers and is a 5 time Rotary International “Paul Harris Fellow.”

The Rotary Club has contributed enormously to numerous civic projects in the town, including the Rotary Trail, the Rotary stage in Little Lake Park and the Rotary Hall in the new Midland Cultural Centre, to name a few. It also supports many other community and international projects.

Fred Hacker was born and raised in Midland, Ontario where his family settled in the early 1880’s. Fred’s grandchildren are sixth generation residents of Midland. Fred practiced law in Midland for 40 years before recently retiring in May 2013.  As a founding partner and managing partner for 30 years, Fred oversaw the growth of the firm, now called HGR Graham Partners LLP from 3 to almost 30 lawyers and the expansion of the firm throughout central Ontario. The Firm has been recognized by the Chamber of Commerce for both the small business of the year and later as the large business of the year. The firm has been voted “favourite lawyers” in Midland for more than a dozen consecutive years. Many of the firm’s lawyers follow Fred’s leadership and they voluntarily participate on local boards and the firm is a strong supporter and sponsor of many of the cultural and other events in town.

Fred and his wife Barb have both devoted themselves to their community in leadership and volunteer roles. Their philosophy is that “much is required from those to whom much is given”. They believe they have been richly blessed and “pay it forward” to their community through their work with the Midland Cultural Centre, a community foundation, a private philanthropic foundation, a service club, the museum, the hospital foundation, a transitional housing facility, a crisis intervention centre, the local YMCA, the local camp, Habitat for Humanity, and numerous other community organizations.

Fred has served as an elder of his local church for 30 years. Knox Presbyterian has hosted the Out of the Cold Program and is now supporting an ambitious project to expand the Guesthouse to create more permanent beds and support for homeless in our community.

2013 Award of Merit Recipient - Gordon Walker

Gordon Walker was born in Midland at St. Andrews Hospital in 1936 to Isabel and Edwin.  He attended Public School in Central School on the site of the Town Hall, and Midland High School where Mundy’s Bay is now located.Gord walker.jpgGord began his Electrical Apprenticeship with Walker’s Electric in 1953 and received training at the  Provincial Institute of Trades in Toronto.  In 1955, he married Evelyn.  They have 3 children Glenn, Jim and Wendy, 5 Grandchildren and 1 Great Grand-daughter.

Gord was a Scout Leader for the 4th Midland Scout Troop at St Paul’s United Church in the mid-50s and coached Minor Hockey during the mid-60s.

He became involved in the Official Board at St Paul’s United Church and worked on the fundraising and construction of the major addition which included the Great Hall, the Minister’s Office, Choir Room, Ladies Parlor and Church Chapel.

Gord became a Mason in 1981 at Caledonia Lodge #249 in Midland, becoming Master of the Lodge in 1987.   He is still an active member at Bayport Lodge #249 in Victoria Harbour.

In 1967, Gord joined the Midland Lion’s Club.  He served as president from 1969 to 1972, in preparation for a run at higher office outside the Club.   He was successful in his efforts and assumed the role of Zone Chairman, Deputy District Governor & District Governor of 58 Lion’s Clubs in District A12 from Markham to Britt.  He went on to be the Chairman of Governors Council for Ontario, Quebec and Labrador/Newfoundland.

Gord subsequently served as President of the Midland Lion’s Club for four more terms and currently holds that office.

In 1975, the first A12 Convention was held in Midland with the Armories as Headquarters.  Local motels provided accommodations to the many that attended.  Since then there have been 7 District Conventions held in Midland, the latest in April of 2013. The Midland Lion’s Club has donated funds towards the Pete Peterson Park Development, the Lion’s Picnic Shelter in Little Lake Park, the Midland Arena Complex following the destruction of the Midland Arena by fire, and again with a $100,000 donation towards the expansion of the Arena, now known as the North Simcoe Sports and Recreation Centre.  Gord, collectively with the Lion’s Club is currently working on a $75,000 pledge towards the P.D.G. Ed Walker Soccer Field.

The Midland Lion’s 724 Air Cadet Squadron was started and sponsored in 1962 and has been sponsored continuously to this time with approximately 85 young people, male and female, receiving training, life skills and some discipline every week.

2013 Award of Merit Summary - Marie Fairbanks

Marie Fairbanks is a true example of a person who quietly works at making things happen in our community through her own individual efforts, as well as through the collective work of her chosen service organization - the Civitan Club.Marie Fairbanks.jpgMarie has lived in the area for over 35 years and has contributed to the community through her involvement with the Civitan Club for over 19 years. She has held the president’s position four times, as well as many other committee chairs in this hands-on group that raises much of their funds through bingos and selling Christmas cakes. She was nominated by her peers for the Honour Club and was given the Honour Key, in recognition of the tremendous dedication she has played in helping the Civitans carry out their mandate to assist persons with mental and physical disabilities, especially the Special Olympics and Community Living Huronia. In addition to helping provide wheel chairs or special computers for individuals who need them, they help youth attend events and placements such as the “Me to We” program, provide food for the special Olympic events and as all children would appreciate – the Civitans sponsor and organize the Santa Claus Parade in Midland.


Marie has been a local business women for over 30 years and is one of the founding members of the Midland and District Business Women’s Association. She has catered many special events through her business Classic Party Services for the last 18 years, including the grand opening for the Robert Hartog Campus at Georgian College, annual employee picnics for TRW and Techform and lots of life’s celebrations over the years. Previous involvement in local food businesses include the Restaurant Ste Marie, the café at the Martyrs Shrine, Captain Robert’s Table at Discovery Harbour, Best Western and the Inn at Bay Moorings and provided culturally diverse meals for vegetarian, vegan and Halal meals to the SuperJail. She has taught the National Food Safety Training Program through Georgian College and private facilities.

Marie’s expertise in food comes through in the many varied ways that she contributes to a range of events in the community. Most recently, she has helped showcase the many other local chefs in the Georgian Bay General Hospital Gala, the most significant fundraising event each year for our hospital – having been involved since the first year organizing the chefs’ tables for this great community event, including providing her own tasty contributions each year.

Marie was a host family for the Canada World Youth program and her dedication to the youth brought her to Thailand for a road trip with the students she had met here in Canada. She is dedicated to life-long learning, forging community spirit and working with like-minded people in the Civitans from our neighbouring communities. Thank you.

2012 Award of Merit - Fran Moreau

Fran Moreau is no stranger to the Town of Midland or its surrounding communities. For over 35 years, Fran has been volunteering her time and services for the betterment of the community. She is a founding member of the Midland-Penetanguishene Branch of the Canadian Diabetes Association.


Through hard work and much dedication, Fran has rallied members and volunteers to assist with fundraising initiatives. Over the years Fran has worked tirelessly, in cooperation with other volunteers, to raise funds in support of the Canadian Diabetes Association by organizing bingo events, craft and bake sales, raffles and golf tournaments, to name a few.

Fran lost her eyesight due to macular degeneration, something that would get the better of most people, but not her! Instead this prompted Fran to become involved with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, of which Fran is now an Ambassador.

Fran is also the historian for the Penetanguishene Power Squadron, an organization she has been a member of for over 30 years. Fran also volunteers at the Georgian Bay General Hospital and belongs to the Familly Council at Georgian Manor.

Fran has brought her vast knowledge and insight to the Town of Midland's Accessibility Advisory Committee to which she is a member and has been since its establishment in 2002. As a member of the Committee, Fran brings the challenges faced by the blind and those with visual impairments to the forefront and strongly advocates for changes that will have a positive impact on their lives and enable full participation in the community. 

Fran is also involved with the Town's Seniors Council, again utilizing her depth of knowledge to help others.

Fran is one of those unsuspecting people we all come across once in a while who makes our collective existence better for her having been there!

2012 Award of Merit – John Faragher

John Faragher has been a member of the teaching team at Midland Secondary School for 20 years. John is one of the most highly respected individuals at Midland Secondary School for a variety of reasons. He leads by example both in the classroom and in the community. He is extremely committed and has demonstrated this through his ongoing pursuit and implementation of projects whether within his own classroom, department, school-wide or in the community. He exhibits outstanding leadership skills and creates exciting, creative, and experiential learning opportunities for students every year.

 


John promotes an enjoyable, relaxed, inviting atmosphere – one that encourages staff to involve students in the community and to apply meaning to lessons by incorporating guest speakers, research projects, role plays, and often includes a variety of other departments in a cross-curricular partnership. 

While many teachers will discuss and invent creative, innovative ideas, John actually brings these ideas to fruition with outstanding organization skills, hard work and dedication. 

The Veteran Research Project is a perfect example. Through this Project Grade 10 history students conducted extensive research on the lives of fallen war dead and gave each person on the Midland Cenotaph a biography. His work provided the Veteran Affairs website with endless entries of previously empty folders on soldiers of World War I and II. The students were engaged and expanded on the project by constructing crosses and plaques for presentation at Remembrance Day assemblies and local events. They also created "trees" to hang the information in a memorial dedication at the local cenotaph for Remembrance Day services. 

Another example is his video catalogue of veterans from world conflicts. To compliment the research, students formulated questions and interviewed local living world war veterans. The sessions were videotaped. John had students create and edit a running multimedia catalogue of every veterans' conflict experience. Students also interviewed seniors at local retirement homes and discovered events outside the textbook covering topics in the 1920's and 1930's. In other words, John helps to make history come alive.

John is a model coach who for twenty years has maintained a relentless commitment to basketball at MSS, local basketball and sports camps, primary school basketball, MSS Spring League basketball, and has still found time to coach downhill skiing, mountain biking, track and field, and helped with training programs for triathletes in the area. He also recently completed an Iron Man competition in Lake Placid, NY, once again, leading by example and inspiring both students and colleagues.

2012 Award of Merit - Roger Mable

Roger Mable grew up in the small town of Thorold, Ontario. Roger had been coming to the area as a child since 1956 and finally established himself in Honey Harbour in 1985. Roger developed a love for the area while attending the YMCA Moore's Camp first as a camper, then a Counsellor, then as a member of the Board and lastly Chair of the Board until the camp sold in 1985. 

 

Prior to coming to the area, Roger spent many dedicated years in public service; serving over 20 years as a Niagara Region police officer from 1963 to 1985 and 10 years as the Chair of the Board of Directors of the YMCA in St. Catharines. Roger moved to Midland in 1992. 

Roger has been a member of the Senior's Council since 1998 and a former Chair. 

As a member of the Seniors Council, Roger has helped get the "Door Tag Program" underway and was the coordinator and contact person for assistance. This program provides seniors with a tag to hang on their door in the evening and to take off in the morning. A neighbourhood person checks the doors and if the tag isn't where it should be, then they follow up to make sure the person is okay. 

Roger has also been a member of the Midland Accessibility Advisory Committee since its formation and is the current Chair. As a member of the Midland Accessibility Advisory Committee, Roger has been quite vocal in effecting positive changes in Little Lake Park to improve accessibility for those with disabilities. Roger was instrumental in assisting the Accessibility sub-committee in establishing specific barrier-free building standard designs for all municipal facilities that promote accessibility and take into consideration the space required to accommodate large mobility devices such as scooters. 

Roger is now promoting the expansion of accessible transportation. He is sensitive to the challenges 
facing the Town and local businesses as they continue to work on accessibility and is looking forward to continuing the important work of the accessibility advisory committee in helping Midland be an inclusive place to live, work and play.

2011 Award of Merit - Gwen Ann Walker

Gwen Ann was an elected member of Midland Town Council for Ward 1 for two consecutive three year terms beginning in 1988. She also served as an elected member of the School Board for a three year term.

Gewn 2011.jpg

During her time on Council, she was on the Seniors Council, the Youth Council which organized a drop-in Centre and was the Chair of the Planning Committee.

Gwen Ann taught English at Midland Secondary School from 1960 to 1962 and from 1971 to 1992. Current Council members Stephan Kramp and Mike Ross are two of her former students.

We recognize her special contribution to the Town in being involved with the Library Board since 1988, a remarkable 22 years of dedicated service. Gwen Ann was the Vice Chair and then the Chair of the Board. During these many years, she patiently and persistently oversaw the planning of the Library extension and then, at the end of her last term as Chair, the completion of the amazing Library expansion. Some of the many tasks she recalls helping with at the library include previously selecting the colours and painting an earlier board room, and hanging pictures. That’s a hands-on Chair!

Gwen Ann’s volunteer activities in the community also involved working at the store for the Habitat for Humanity and being a local canvasser for cancer.

2011 Award of Merit - Elizabeth O’Connor

Elizabeth and her husband Albert moved to North Simcoe 10 years ago, having cottaged in the area for 20 years. She was a teacher for 40 years.

Elizabeth o'conner.jpg

Elizabeth is a tireless advocate for peace, social justice and civil liberties.

She has been the Chair of the Seniors Council for 3 terms and has helped organize events to inform and inspire seniors in our community. Elizabeth is currently spearheading the Council’s efforts to study the gaps in services for seniors in Midland.

She was a local community organizer on the issue of maintaining the secular status of the local hospital and preserving women’s services, in a campaign that engaged the interest of many Midland and area residents.

Elizabeth is the inspiration behind Peaceworks, which formed in Midland in 2002, providing Midland and area residents, with a local voice to join with other communities across Canada and the world on the same day, to voice opposition to the use of force and in favour of peaceful and diplomatic alternatives to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Subsequently, these efforts called for our troops to come home safely, to stop secret trials of detainees in post 9-11 and to support the young war resisters in Canada. Elizabeth has helped Midland host speakers to help residents better understand these struggles, including young War resisters and family members of detainees.

Elizabeth has organized many Peaceworks’ lunches, bringing inspirational and courageous speakers who work on international development issues, often in conflict regions in the world, such as Doctors without Borders, Project Umbrella Burma, Tamil Civilians held in detention camps, Flood Relief in Pakistan, and World literacy free schools. Many of the peace events have involved children, including Pumpkins for Peace, peace banners at the Wyevale School, Brownie candlelight peace celebrations and Christmas tree peace decorations. Elizabeth helped send Mother’s Day knitted squares from Midland for a banner in Washington.

In 2003, Elizabeth was awarded the YMCA Canada Peace Medal and she continues to celebrate this event annually. On behalf of Peaceworks, she is invited annually to lay a rose for the Montreal Massacre commemoration organized by Rosewood.

Her work on peace has helped to plant and design two permanent peace gardens – one in Midland and one in Penetanguishene, the latter of which included the assistance of inmates from the superjail.

Elizabeth’s love of gardening has flowed into being on the Committee to organize the annual fundraising garden tours- first for the Penetanguishene Library and, for the last few years, the Midland Library, which showcases beautiful gardens in the area.

2011 Award of Merit - Paul Hamelin

In 1975, Paul began his policing career in London, Ontario. In 1985, he returned to his hometown of Midland, Ontario and over the next 24 years was promoted through the ranks and served in all aspects of the service culminating in his appointment as Chief of Police in 1995, which he held for the next 14 years. While serving with the Midland Police, Paul reached many milestones in his career including receiving the Police Exemplary Service Medal for 20 years of Meritorious Service, the 30 Year Bar for Loyal and Exemplary Service and in January of 2006, he was inducted as an Officer of the Order of Merit of Police Forces by the Governor General of Canada.

​​Paul Hamelin.jpg
During his Policing Career, Paul was active in many Associations including the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police where he served on many committees and in all capacities including the Office of the President, the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the First Nations Chiefs of Police Association and the Simcoe County Policing Authorities.

During his years as Chief of the Midland Police Service, Paul’s concern and insights into the broader needs of persons with mental health issues were shared with other services and he was on the founding committee of the Human Services and Justice in 1998. He attended the community care team meetings with Outpatients, participated in the initial meetings to help get Shelter Now and helped build on our understanding of the needs in our downtown and the decision to engage the original SOS Outreach Team.

Paul is currently the Executive Director of the Ontario Police Technology Information Co-operative which is comprised of 39 Ontario Municipal Police Services and the Ontario Provincial Police working in co-operation with the Government of Ontario.

Paul continues to be active in the community serving on the Board of Directors of Community Living Huronia, where he has seen this organization grow from the time his mother was an early Executive Director to an organization of 240 staff providing supported living for many persons with intellectual disabilities in our community. He was on the founding Board of the North Simcoe Boys and Girls Club in 2006 and continues as Chair of the Board of Directors of the Boys and Girls Club of Midland. In addition, he is a volunteer instructor of the 55 Alive Mature Driver Course for the Askennonia Senior Centre. His three sons are now grown, but for over 20 years, he coached baseball and t-ball. Paul now occasionally serves as a roadie for one of his sons who plays in a band. You may also see Paul as a volunteer at a Much Music Dance for the next generation of music makers in our community.

Paul is inspired by his mother, Joyce who at the age of 81, continues to be active in the community and by his wife, Brenda who shares his commitment to community service.

2010 Award of Merit - Miles Blackhurst

Miles served as a member of Midland Town Council for ten years. His extensive community service includes – but is not limited to the following:

• Chairman of the Midland Parks Board

• Chairman of the Midland Harbour Board

• Vice-Chairman of Midland Public Utilities Commission

• Director of St. Andrews and Huronia District Hospital Boards.

• Honorary member of the Midland Rotary Club and recipient of the Paul Harris Fellowship Award of Rotary.

• Currently serves as Chairman of the Huronia Museum Board.

miles blackhurst.jpg


This list, as mentioned, is just a partial list to give an example of the extraordinary contributions to the community and the residents of Midland, Miles has given. We all know how difficult it is to find the time to volunteer while raising a family, and having a career.

What makes the list even more impressive is the fact that the contributions were constant, carried out over a long period of time and are still being carried out to this very day, illustrating a life-long, unselfish commitment to the betterment of the community.

Community involvement of this magnitude is truly remarkable and someone like this, regardless of what awards they may receive in recognition, must enjoy a sense of accomplishment knowing they have made such a personal contribution to make their Town a better place to live.

Miles and his wife Grace have two daughters and three grandchildren and although all his community pursuits take an enormous amount of time – Grace still permits him to work on his golf game at Midland Golf and Country Club.
It is because of these many contributions to the Town of Midland and its residents that Council was proud to present the Award of Merit to Mr. Miles Blackhurst.

2010 Award of Merit - ​Reinhart Weber

Reinhart Weber left Germany to come to Canada in 1954 where he settled in Windsor and worked at three different tool and die companies. He started his own business in Windsor in 1961. 

rein hartweber.jpg 


In March 1967, Reinhart started searching for a new location where he could expand his business. On October 25, 1967 Reinhart opened Weber Tool & Mold, a division of Weber Manufacturing Limited. He bought vacant land in August of that year and constructed the factory and moved the equipment in and started production within 2 months! 

Life unfolded quickly for Reinhart and his wife Alexandra following their move to Midland. They started their family in 1968 and in 1971, he, Ed Connelly and Bennett Kistler started Techform Products Limited in Penetanguishene. The original plant was 8 thousand square feet. It expanded numerous times and reached an employment of 750 people. He sold his interest in 1989.

In the late 1980s, he and his friend Robbert Hartog conceived a research and development institute to serve the Canadian tool, die, mould and manufacturing industries. The concept resulted in the Industrial Research & Development Institute. Today it is known as The Robbert Hartog Campus of Georgian College.

In the early 1990s Weber Manufacturing and Inco formed a joint venture to develop a technology utilizing nickel vapour to produce nickel shell moulds. In early 1999, Weber Manufacturing Limited started construction of its own nickel vapour deposition plant which opened on May 12, 2000. To this day it remains the only large scale nickel vapour deposition facility, producing tooling for the automotive, aerospace, kitchen and bath and optical industries. 

In 2004, at the age of 73, Reinhart decided it was time to turn his attention to other pursuits. By then, Weber Manufacturing had annual sales of 45 million dollars. After an extensive search, Weber Manufacturing was sold to American Capital, a venture capital investment corporation. 

Reinhart and his wife Alexandra had created The Weber Foundation on September 29, 1997. Since its early days, the Foundation has supported community organizations and projects such as Community Living Huronia, the Wye Marsh, Wendat, Rosewood, the YMCA, Huronia District Hospital (now Georgian Bay General Hospital), Georgian College, the Salvation Army, and Sick Kid's Hospital. By the end of 2010, the Weber Foundation will have contributed over 10 million dollars to community organizations and projects. One of the highlights was the construction of a transitional housing facility with assisted living in 20 units on Hartman Drive in Midland. The three million, nine hundred thousand dollar construction cost was funded by Robbert Hartog and the Weber Foundation with the Foundation contributing over 2 million dollars.

The single largest undertaking by the Weber Foundation (and, in fact, one of the largest individual donations of its kind in Central Ontario) is the Midland Cultural Centre. The Weber Foundation has committed seven million, five hundred thousand dollars to this significant undertaking which is now under construction in downtown Midland. The Centre will become the new home of the Quest Art School & Gallery and of Huronia Players and will house two art galleries, a theatre, an event centre, a cafe, offices and classrooms.

Today Reinhart and his wife Alexandra live life to the fullest, travelling extensively, enjoying their two children and five grandchildren and settling into their new home on Georgian Bay.

Reinhart has left his mark on many facets of life in Huronia. He has shown that one can succeed at the highest levels of business life and give back to one’s community in significant ways. And today, he continues to work full time as the driving force behind the new Midland Cultural Centre which will serve the Midland and area communities for years to come. 
It was with great pleasure and appreciation of these many contributions to the Town of Midland and its residents that Council was proud to present the Award of Merit to Mr. Reinhart Weber.


 ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Council Information Package (CIP)

 Previous Election Results

Voter Turnout: 1997-2014​​

​​YearNo. of Eligible Electors​Total Voted​% Turn-out
​1997​12,9904,43334
​2000​13,3044,82036
​2003​13,734 3,81627.79
​2006​13,6205,09837.43
​2010​13,0745,02638.4
​2014​13,1605,41641.16

Council 2010 Official Municipal Election Result

CLERK’S NOTICE OF OFFICIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION RESULTS 

I, Andrea D. Fay, Clerk of the Town of Midland, County of Simcoe, declare the following to be the final summary of the votes recorded for the purposes of the Municipal Election held on October 25, 2010 Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (s.55(4)a)

​Names of Candidates for the office of Mayor​Total Votes​
​James M. Downer​2,425
​Gordon A. McKay​2,562 ELECTED
​​Names of Candidates for the office of
Deputy Mayor
  ​
​Ruth M. Hackney ​1,951
​Stephan M. Kramp ​2,819 ELECTED
Names of Candidates for the office of
Counciller Ward 1 ​
​Jim Attwood​1,076 ELECTED
​Patricia A. File​1,081 ELECTED
​Mike P. Hearn​655
​George J. Mac Donald​1,025
​Zena Pendlebury​1,094 ELECTED
​Names of Candidates for the office of
Counciller Ward 2 ​
​Jack H. Charlebois​771 ELECTED
​Curtis Desroches​403
​Malcom H. Dilts​96
​Dan P. Downey​686
​Bob Jeffery​789 ELECTED
​Brenda S. Murray​703
​Mike Ross​829 ELECTED
​Ute Schmid​429
Names of Candidates for the office of
Councillor Ward 3
​Glen M. Canning​322 ELECTED
​Judy Contin​240
​Douglas G. Ironside​​175

School Boards​ 2010 Official Municipal Election Result

CLERK’S NOTICE OF OFFICIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION RESULTS 

I, Andrea D. Fay, Clerk of the Town of Midland, County of Simcoe, declare the following to be the final summary of the votes recorded for the purposes of the Municipal Election held on October 25, 2010 Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (s.55(4)a) 

French Language Catholic District School Board #64 Total Votes 
​Luc Gagnon​27
​Cindy A. Labas​10
​Adrien A. Lamoureux​32​


French Language Public District School Board #58 ​Total Votes
​Guy M. Belcourt ​​45
​Eric R. Lapointe​13


English Language Public School Board - District #17 ​Total Votes
​Michele L. Locke​1,702
​Doug Reed​1,638


​English Language Separate School Board – District #44 ​Total Votes
​John J. Grise ​650
​Gessica C. Pizzuto ​88
​Denyse P. Wigglesworth ​163


​​​

 2014 Waterfront Implementation

Master Plan Implementation

The Town of Midland is currently undertaking the required planning process in order to implement the Unimin Waterfront Lands Master Plan approved in June 2013.  This planning exercise consists of an Official Plan Amendment with the creation of new designations to reflect the Master Plan vision.  As the Official Plan Amendment will involve the conversion of Employment Lands to non-employment uses, a Municipal Comprehensive Review is required that supports the proposed amendment.  Below are the studies undertaken by the Town to evaluate the Employment Lands context of the Town of Midland, the draft Official Plan Amendment and the draft Planning Justification Report.

Reports and Notices Regarding the Master Plan Implementation

 Unimin Agendas and Minutes

 Financial Documents

 Heritage Merit Award

1994 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - St. Mark’s Anglican Church - 303 Third Street 
    • Church Rectory renovations, including wrap-around front veranda.
  • Commercial Category - Mr. and Mrs. Pape - 555 Bay Street 
    • Improvements to building facade having heritage theme. 

1995 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Dr. and Mrs. Pruesse - 70 Fifth Street 
    • Improvements to home, especially porches in front yard which are in keeping with the architectural vernacular of the era of construction.
  • Commercial Category - Mr. and Mrs. Brabant - 203-207 King Street 
    • Placement of mural depicting department store in keeping with original use of building - in early part of century the building was the largest department store north of Toronto. 

1996 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Dr. James Small - 408 King Street 
    • Restoration of pillars on front porch in keeping with architectural integrity of residence. 
  • Commercial Category - Ferguson & Boeckle - 531 King Street 
    • Construction of office building, using hand-hewn logs, portraying building technique, which exemplifies Midland’s pioneer era. 

1997 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Mrs. Duncan - 632 Hugel Avenue 
    • Restoration of porch which included the historically detailed reconstruction utilizing the original window frames in keeping with the architectural integrity of the home. 
  • Commercial Category - Mr. Ens - 340 Dominion Avenue 
    • ​Preservation of former Manly Chew Residence, by maintaining the facade of the building. 

Special presentation in 1997

Stepping perch - located in front of 248 Sixth Street 

  • This unique structure, constructed in the late 1800’s, was used for persons dismounting from a horse-drawn carriage and is the only remaining example of same within the Town. Mr. Trueman, once Clerk of the Town of Midland resided in the home during this era. 

1998 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Mr. and Mrs. R. Presse - 318 Third Street 
    • Maintenance and preservation of original structure, especially the “Juliet” balcony that has been retained in its original state. 
  • Commercial Category - Chin & Orr Office - 382 King Street 
    • Preservation of existing facade of building and improving the landscape features for a building having historic and architectural importance in the Town. 

1999 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Mr. and Mrs. Hutton – 659 Dominion Avenue 
    • Maintenance and building improvements made to preserve and retain the original structure. Renovations employed materials, colors and styles that complement the original structure and bring out the beauty of the heritage home. 
  • Commercial Category – Mr. and Mrs. Douglas – 535 Yonge Street 
    • ​Preservation and conservation of the existing building, which is of historic and architectural importance in the Town, by maintaining and improving the façade of the building and surrounding landscape features. 

2000 Award Recipients

Residential Category

  • Mr. and Mrs. Blei – 356 Hugel Avenue 
    • Maintenance of the unique heritage home with the owners’ retention of the original structure. The house was constructed in 1920 for a Dr. McClinton. The stonemason was a Mr. LeBlanc whose descendants still ply the trade today. The home was, at one time, the residence of prominent businessman, Mr. Albert Pinchin. By maintaining the original windows and structural elements of the building design, the beauty of this heritage home is enhanced and it is a great example of a “Prairie Style” architecture which was promoted by Frank Lloyd Wright in the 1910’s and 1920’s and which is not commonly found in Canada. 
  • Mr. and Mrs. Strathearn – 401 Manly Street
    • Maintenance of the home, in order to preserve, enhance and retain the original structure. By maintaining the structural elements of the building design, specifically the unenclosed veranda, second-storey porch, gingerbread accents and original windows, this heritage home is an example of Edwardian Classicism architecture. This type of architecture was commonly used from 1900-1930 and was typically highlighted with a veranda or portico, set against a smooth exterior brick finish.  

Commercial Category

  • Roxy Theatre – Messrs. Paul and David Babcock-333 King Street 
    • Preservation and conservation of the existing building, which is of architectural importance in the Town. The façade of the building employs an Art Deco design, unique to the area. The Art Deco style, with its angular outlines, was popular from 1925-1940 and is described as a “highly decorative, colouristic and abstract style”. The owners have maintained the façade of the building and enhanced its features with exterior paint applications. The concrete façade was painted in the summer of 1999, with pastel colours typifying the Art Deco style. 
  • Trustees St. Margaret’s Roman Catholic Church – 589 Hugel Avenue –Father Jeff Masterson, Pastor 
    • ​This Award recognizes the remodeling of the original sacristy and winter chapel into the new chapel, the addition of a meeting room, a new entrance and a pergola to link that entrance to the west entrance of the Church; all of which is in keeping and enhancing the architecture of the existing building. By maintaining the building’s architecture and improving the landscaping features, the Church and the new addition compliment the architectural style of Gothic Revival. 

2001 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Mr. and Mrs. Monteith - 421 Midland Avenue 
    • Maintenance of the unique heritage home and the owners’ retention of the original structure. By maintaining the original porch and structural elements of the building design, the beauty of this heritage home is enhanced.
  • Commercial Category - Wendat Building - 237 Second Street 
    • ​The Wendat Building was constructed in 1913 and although it has been renovated a number of times, the latest renovations a number of years ago reinstalled windows in their original locations and the mass and style of the building were retained. The re-use of the structure is also seen as a great conservation measure. 

Each property owner was presented with a plaque entitled “Midland Heritage”, which highlights and identifies their building as having significant heritage value within the community. 

2002 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category - Mr. and Mrs. Stuewe - 8986 County Road 93 
    • Maintenance of the unique heritage log home and preservation of original structure. The home is touted as a prime example of early log construction. The squared logs with dovetailed corners exemplify the craftsmanship from a bygone era. 
  • Commercial ​Category – Edwards Village Square Mall – 295 King Street 
    • The building was originally constructed in 1926, with extensive renovations completed in the med 1980’s. The new façade depicting the turn of the century raised valance was created on the King Street frontage and has been very well maintained over the years. The name of the original owners has been retained, which conserves the heritage significance within the Community. 

Each property owner was presented with a plaque entitled “Midland Heritage”, which highlights and identifies their building as having significant heritage value within the community

  • Special presentation of Designated property – Frazer House/Dr. Campbell – 687 King Street 
    • ​A number of years ago, the Midland Heritage Committee designated the Frazer House as the first of many historical structures in the Community. At the time, the plaques were not available when the building was designated.

2003 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category – Mr. Jim Downer – 645 Bay Street
  • Commercial Category – Mr. Stewert McIntyre – 600 Bay Street

2004 Award Recipients

  • Mr. Julian Kusek – 613 Dominion Avenue 
  • Mr. James Glennie – 322 Russell Street

2005 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category – Mr. Clinton Truax – 414 King Street 
    • This house is the former residence of Norman Lyon Playfair, one of Midland’s original leading businessmen and lumber mill operator. Although the exact date of construction has not been determined, the 1904 Midland Insurance Plan identifies the house as being a 2 and ½ storey brick structure with prominent windows on three sides. The house architecture is known as Gothic Revival which was a popular architectural style prominent in the years leading up to the 20th century. This style employs dichromatic brick patterns, roof gables and dormers, various window shapes and sizes, mixed design vergeboards and verandas. The windows are supported by limestone sills and the foundation appears to be cut granite stone.
  • Commercial Category – Library Restaurant – 526 Hugel Avenue 
    • ​With funding from the Carnegie Institute, the new Midland Public Library was opened on January 7th, 1915. Carnegie Libraries were standard design and production buildings with each building design determined by the size of the community that it was intended to serve. The standard building design employs the Edwardian Classicism architectural vernacular that was common at the turn of the century. This is evidenced with the brick façade that is highlighted by a concentration of stylized and often exaggerated elements such as the subdued pilasters and piers that were favoured over colossal columns enhancing the main entrance, the large window and elliptic surrounds with brick banding. 

2006 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category – Sid & Rose Tjeerdsma – 695 Dominion Avenue The house was built for Peter Potvin and his wife Elizabeth around 1898 – 1899. The house was wood framed and one of the first in Midland to have electricity. 
  • Commercial Category – Buckley Insurance & Investment – 437 King Street 

2007 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category – The Cobblestone Homes of 482, 486 and 490 Midland Avenue 
    • The cobblestone houses on Midland Avenue appear to be patterned after a building style that originated in upper New York State in the mid nineteenth century. There over 700 examples of cobblestone buildings in the Rochester area alone. It is no doubt that the exposure to this building technique and its introduction into Ontario was influenced by travelers on the great lakes to which it is suspected that is how it may have found its way into our community. The houses at 482, 486 and 490 Midland Avenue appear to have been built in the late teens or early 1920’s and all by the same contractor. The similarities of the three structures are striking even though modern applications have been added. Each building is a story and a half with a squared dormer window on the front over looking the streetscape. The cobblestones are natural river washed stones, probably gathered from the Georgian Bay shoreline, each about the size of a potato that lends the masonry a handsome, yet delicate texture. Most examples of the US version of cobblestone veneer has a horizontal mortar line between each layer of cobblestones, whereas the Midland version maintains the horizontal line of stones without the accompanying mortar line. Equally, the US form of construction employs a defined concrete lintel over the windows and door openings and prominent window sills. The Midland version is typified by excluding an obvious lintel and sill and bordering the openings with the cobblestones. 
  • Residential Category – Winter House – 427 King Street 
    • ​While the exact building date is not known, the location of the house appears in the 1904 Town Fire Insurance Plans. This red brick house was built in the Victorian Gothic style, and is highlighted with distinctively peaked roof lines adorned with gingerbread along the facia, symmetrically placed windows, wrap around porches and bay windows. The north site of the building shows evidence of a former door way that is closed in with brick, yet the concrete lintel remains. The gable ends were traditionally finished in a “fish scale” cedar shake and the recent improvements have replaced them with square end cedar shakes. The square columns that denote the Victorian gothic style remain although the traditional porch railing has been removed to expose the finely detailed picture window and door casements. The coach house was refurbished by the current owners.

2008 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category – McMullen House – 352 First Street 
    • This house is noted in the 1904 Fire Insurance Maps as the remnant of an original farm holding. This house is recognized as being the oldest structure in Town, dating back to 1855. The original structure was built by Richard a farmer and builder. In 1907 Margaret Murphy sold the homestead to John Toole, who served as the Town Reeve for several terms in the late teens and early 20’s. From 1908 to 1918 Toole sold the vacant lots and evidently the house to John C. McMullen. The house remained in the McMullen family until 1984. John McMullen was an outstanding contractor and builder who played an important role in the Town’s early development. During his long construction career he erected well over 300 houses plus commercial and public buildings within a 50 mile radius. Prominent among these were St, Margaret’s Roman Catholic Church, the McMurtry Block, Catalino’s Store and the re-modeling of Edward’s Specialty Shop in 1924. John McMullen was a prominent and substantial pioneer in the advancement of the community and was actively involved with the Anglican Church and was the elected Reeve in 1929. 
  • Residential Category – Horrell House – 282 Fifth Street 
    • This house is noted in the 1904 Fire Insurance Maps as a single detached home situated on an acre of land at the south west corner of Hugel Avenue and Fifth Street. It appears that this house was built for Mr. John Box Horrell sometime in the late 1880’s. Mr. Horrell was Mayor of Midland during the Village years of 1884, ‘85 and ’87 and again during the Town years from 1890 to 1897, while all this time operating a successful general merchandizing store on King Street. The architectural style of the house would be interpreted as Queen Anne Revival Style (1880 – 1910) which is the most eclectic of the nineteenth century styles, the most varied, colorful and light hearted. This style is identified by the decorative motifs in the brick or wood that is combined with a variety of roof shapes to create a richly decorated irregular form. Among the more prominent features of this home is the front façade with the offset three storey tower with pilasters, square columns flush with the surface, extending to a tall hip roof. This incorporates the main entrance from the porch and on the upper floors, inset windows capped with decorative arched soldier course brick lintels. 
  • Commercial Category – Jeffery Block – 234 and 236 King Street 
    • ​Identifying a building as a ‘Block’ was a common moniker of that era as it implied a grandiose structure. Mr. C. W. Jeffery was one of Midland’s pioneer citizens and successful business men. The ‘Jeffery’ hardware dates back to the late 1890’s when it was first established in the Grisé Block located on the south west corner of Dominion Avenue and King Street. In 1901 the Jeffery Block was completed and new firm of C. W. Jeffery & Sons started a hardware business from this location. The second storey of the building was the new home of the local Y. M. C. A. and it was said to be, at that time, the best equipped quarters of any association in a small Ontario town. This space was also used as a ballroom for gala functions. The top floor was completed and outfitted for the Odd Fellows lodge meeting rooms. The third floor was also used for a time as the High School quarters until the new quarters were completed in 1904 at the corner of Sixth and Yonge Streets. The architectural style is reminiscent of the later Romanesque Revival Style that was popularized in Canada by Thomas Fuller, who was the Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works of Canada and notable designer of post offices and custom houses, including the Town’s library. With its ease of construction and emphasis on large windows, permitting plenty of light to enter the building, the Romanesque Revival was a popular choice for commercial buildings.

2009 Award Recipients

Residential Category – Joseph Lavigne – 302 Manly Street 

The land on which the “Lavigne” home is situated was a gift from Mr. James Playfair to the Lavigne family. The Lavigne family built two homes on the property, one for Joseph and Josephine and a second one for their son Captain William Lavigne. William built both houses likely between 1905 and 1910 and the Lavigne’s moved into their new home beside him. The home is located on the west side of Manly Street between Elizabeth Street and Hugel Avenue. The architectural style of the Lavigne home appears to be Edwardian Classicism. The style in itself is seen in Ontario between 1900 and 1930 and is associated with the reign of British monarch Edward VII. It was a reaction to the decorative excess of the late Victorian style revivals that flourished in the late 1800's. While it exhibits some restrained classical inspiration the style is also know for its simplicity after the excesses of the Queen Anne style. They are largely devoid of exterior ornament with the exception of generous verandas which often feature stout classical columns and chunky railings. Typical of Edwardian architecture, the Lavigne House is a two and a half storey, red stretcher brick home having shingles in the upper dormer and medium hipped roof. The home features many windows in the typical one over one style with a decorative stained glass fanlight and window. The front picture window features the stained glass excellently. 

2010 Award Recipients

  • Residential Category – Captain Burke’s House – 435 Hugel Avenue 
    • This house was once the residence of Captain Frederick John Burke, likely born in 1885. The date of construction of the existing structure is unknown; however it is believed to be around 1906. The home is reminiscent of the Queen Anne Style of architecture. The house is a two and half story red stretcher brick home having a square plan with a large, gable end on the front of the home and octagonal window. There are two verandas and porches under the gables and eaves. The current owners have worked to preserve the many features of the Queen Anne style, including the original fireplaces, stained glass and lead glass windows, the built in buffet, and many other features.
  • Commercial Category – Steer’s Cabins – 830 Yonge Street (c/o Norman’s Garden Gallery) 
    • ​This is the last remaining structure from Steer’s Cabins, an accommodation/vacation spot for visitors to Little Lake Park. Steer’s Cabins operated as an overnight accommodation business from the early 1940’s up until 1979. There were 23 sleeper cabins located on the property in a horseshoe formation. Also on the site was a cookhouse, and a centrally located washroom/shower facility. In addition to the cabins, there was a White Rose gasoline station (later Shell Canada) and a small store. It was torn down in the early 1980’s, but in 2004, the Norman family made significant effort to restore and preserve this original. 

2011 Award Recipient

Commercial Category – Ciboulette & Cie – 248 King Street 

The building was once part of the Ingram Block, formerly owned by George and Alex Ingram, and operated as the Midland General Store. The store was known for its products: from clothes to quilting and sewing supplies to sundries, the shoppers varied from farmers and factory workers to the families of Christian Island to The Gray Sisters. In the more recent past, the property was home to the National Bank. In December 2009, an extensive interior renovation of the property began, in which the original hardwood floors were unearthed, as well as the original tin ceiling. Today the property is home to a food shop that celebrates the local foods of the area and the heritage culture of the community. 

​​