Heritage Tax Relief Program
Council of the Corporation of the Town of Midland approved the Heritage Tax Relief Program through passage of By-law 2014-50 at their Regular Meeting on August 25, 2014. This By-law came into effect on January 1, 2015. Following suit with Midland's program, Council of the Corporation of the County of Simcoe also adopted a Heritage Tax Refund Program on August 11, 2015.
The Town is very excited to implement this Program as we recognize the important role that Heritage buildings play in the character and identify of our Town. We further recognize that normal maintenance and restoration of Heritage buildings requires more intensive care and custom work at a somewhat higher cost than that of newer buildings. Please visit the following links for more information on the Heritage Tax Relief Program:
Heritage Property Tax Relief Program - Information Sheets
Heritage Alteration Permit
Application for Heritage Tax Relief
Victorian Christmas Home Tour
The Victorian Home Christmas Tour is an annual event organized by the Midland Heritage Committee in December in order to showcase Midland's beautiful heritage homes and to raise money for other heritage projects. The 6th Annual Christmas Home Tour takes place on Saturday, December 10th, 2016.
Doors Open Huronia
Heritage Inventory and Register
The Town of Midland Heritage Inventory and Register has been prepared by Planning and Building Services under the direction and with the assistance of the Heritage Committee. The Heritage Inventory and Register includes those buildings and structures on the Walking Tour list, Captain's Houses list, and a number of other buildings and structures identified by current and past staff and Committees.
Under Section 27(1) of the Ontario Heritage Act (OHA), the Clerk of the Town is required to keep a register of properties of cultural heritage value or interest within the Town. The register must include all properties that are designated under the OHA either locally or provincially and the register must include a legal description of the lands, name and address of current owner, a statement of the cultural heritage value or interest of the property, and a description of the heritage attributes of the property. The OHA also permits property/buildings that are not formally designated to be 'listed' on the Heritage Register where the municipality believes that there is a cultural heritage value or interest in the property/building.
The Heritage Inventory and Register is an important and significant part of the Town's overall heritage resource program. The Inventory and Register meets the Town's obligations and requirements under the Ontario Heritage Act and also establishes an important tool in the identification, promotion and protection of these significant heritage properties and buildings.
The Heritage Inventory and Register should be considered a living document that will continue to be added to and improved upon over time as additional historical information is found and incorporated regarding the existing designated and listed properties and as new buildings and resources are considered by the Committee for listing and designation.
Download the Heritage Inventory and Register (13mb) - updated October 2013
Heritage Merit Awards and Heritage Appreciation Awards
Walking Tours and Brochures
Designated Heritage Properties
Under Section 29 in Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (OHA), municipalities may pass by-laws to formally designate properties of cultural heritage value or interest. Formal designation allows the municipality to acknowledge a property's heritage value and its significance to the identity of the community. Formally designating a property under the OHA also helps to ensure the conservation of the identified heritage elements for the benefit of present and future generations. Below is a list of the designated properties in the Town of Midland.
310 Fifth Street
310 Fifth Street is
believed to have been built between 1905 and 1914. The residence is a
representative example of Edwardian Classicism, and more specifically the
Foursquare style. Fifth Street
is well-regarded in the Town as having a distinctive historic character due to
the large number of Edwardian homes set on well-kept properties with mature
trees. 310 Fifth Street is an excellent example of the Foursquare design within
the Edwardian architectural period, and it has been maintained to a very high
standard with limited exterior alterations. 310 Fifth Street was designated a
heritage building in 2016.
Final Signed By-law 2016-84 Passed Nov 28 2016 - 310 Fifth Street
Hillside Holme (251 Queen Street)
Midland Public Library (320 King Street)
Heritage Animal Hospital (687 King Street)
This building was built for use as a home in 1900, constructed of board and batten, clap board, and horizontal finished log. It is now used as an animal hospital and was designated as a Heritage Building in 1992.
Designation By-law 2010-18 (Heritage Animal Hospital)
Letherby House (422 King Street)
The Letherby Home is strongly linked to Midland's lumber mill era as being one of four adjacent homes belonging to some of Midland's foremost lumber barons. The property was purchased by Edwin Letherby in 1903 and was sold upon his death in 1953. Mr. Letherby was a prominent lumberman including being president of both the Letherby-Terry-Nicholson Lumber Company and the Letherby and Sons Lumber Mill. Mr. Letherby was also Mayor of Midland from 1908-1909 and 1916-1917, served several terms as a Town Councillor and was a lifelong supporter of the YMCA and St. Andrew's Hospital. The property was designated as a Heritage Building in 2014.
Designation By-law 2014-60 (Letherby Home)
William Wilson Cemetery (17007 Highway 12)
This property is the site of a rural "pioneer" cemetery, in which many of the area's earliest settlers are buried. Burials ended in 1907 and only one headstone remains visible in this location. The property was designated as a Heritage Site in 2009.
Designation by-law 2009-85 (William Wilson Cemetery)
Drummond Wall (353 Fuller Avenue)
This wall is all that remains from "Drummond House", also known as the Georgian Lodge, which was built in the 1890's. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1980 and the wall was designated as a Heritage Structure in 2010.
Designation By-law 2010-95 (Drummond Estate Wall)
William Wilson Pioneer Cemetery Project
This project includes both an investigation into the physical restoration of the site and the framework for a management plan for future maintenance of the site, along with a Promotion Plan to increase awareness of one of Huronia's first European cemeteries and its ties to the area's military history.
For more information about the restoration of the William Wilson Pioneer Cemetery Project, click here to read the updated information about the on going project.