Christmas Home Tour - 2019
The Christmas Home Tour is an annual event organized by the Midland Heritage Committee in December in order to showcase Midland's beautiful heritage homes and to raise money for other heritage projects. The 9th Annual Christmas Home Tour is scheduled to take place on Saturday, December 14th, 2019.
To view the Christmas Home Tour flyer for 2019, click here.
Homes on the Christmas Home Tour
462 Queen Street
Built in 1911, this single detached family dwelling is two storeys tall with a medium gabled roof. The building’s exterior is composed of cedar shingles and stretcher brick.
556 Yonge Street
The home located at 556 Yonge Street was constructed in 1907 and was the former residence of long-time Midland businessman and civic leader Thomas J. Campbell. Originally owned by Richard Murphy, the house was purchased by Campbell in 1908 and remained in the Campbell family until 1971.
A long time church supporter and official, Campbell was the Superintendent of the Methodist and (later St. Paul's United) Church Sunday School for over 35 years. As owners of several Town properties, the Campbells established a series of greenhouses at the top of “Campbell's Hill", the present location of the Huron Ouendat Village. Thomas John Campbell passed away on March 5, 1961.
Campbell's former home features a hipped gambrel (barn shaped) roof and an exterior wall of brick and shingle in the upper gable. It also has several windows, including two prominent bay windows located at the side of the dwelling and another at the front above the roof of the porch under a small oval window. The windows on the first storey of this dwelling have a segmental opening with a plain lug sill. Inside the opening there is plain wood trim. The main entrance is located at the centre of the façade and has similar structural features to that of the windows. The main porch is an open veranda with plain pillars for support.
431 King Street
Built in 1903, this home is accentuated by the white stucco façade and contrasting black trim and roof.
686 Dominion Avenue
686 Dominion Avenue features an asymmetric design that emulates of architectural styles of the past, particularly, that of the complex designs popular for houses in the Victorian Era. The house juts out in a semi-circular portion of the building’s face, and this area features six symmetrical nine-over-nine pane windows. This style of window is evocative of window styles dating before 1900s, which was before modern glass techniques could create large pane windows.
Above the semi-circular building face, there is a peaked gabled roof that has one central window. The porch and balcony of the home feature matching white turned porch posts with decorative brackets that are complimented by turned posts railings.
The home also features multiple forms of cladding that give it a unique character. The house has a combination of red brick and white siding for the majority of the building, and Fish Scale Shingles are placed under the gables above the semi-circular building face and the gable of the dormer above the porch. While 686 Dominion Avenue has many features, the architecture of the house has an overall sense of unity that is reminiscent of the houses of the Victorian Era.
653 Bay Street
Built in 1910, this two storey house has a stretcher brick exterior and a medium gable roof with a projecting eaves gable dormer on the side of the house. The
entrance to this house is located on the left side of the façade. The main porch is
open with an open railing, and wood piers.
251 Queen Street
The home at 251 Queen Street was once owned by Thomas Chew, who owned a flour and shingle mill in 1866 and a grist mill with George Chew known as the Chew Brothers Mill from 1876 to 1880. The home is believed to have been built in 1875 and remained in the Chew family until 1937.
Hillside Holme has been lovingly restored and important features include a grand foyer entrance, original fireplaces, lead and stained glass windows, original built-in cabinetry, pocket doors, dramatic grand staircase and lovely views of Georgian Bay from the upstairs bedrooms and the large wraparound front porch. In 2013, the Town of Midland passed a By-law to designate Hillside Home under the Ontario Heritage Act to recognize its heritage significance.