DID YOU KNOW?
A monthly feature from MFD's Prevention Officer that highlights safety tips and reminders about common causes of fires and hazards in the home and community. Did you know? If not, find out here.
January 2018 - DID YOU KNOW?
Snow or ice buildup could damage your gas meter, interrupt your gas supply, and cause your furnace to malfunction, or lead to a deadly Carbon Monoxide build up in your home.
During the winter, and especially after a storm, keep an eye on your natural gas meter and appliance exhaust vents.
- Use a snow brush or broom to gently clear any snow or ice
- Be careful using your shovel, plow or snow blower nearby
- Don't kick, hit or use sharp objects to remove snow or ice
- Never use salt, hot water or ice melting chemicals to remove snow or ice
- Repair leaky eaves troughs or downspouts to prevent water from dripping on your gas meter or vents
- Don't pile snow up against your gas meter or appliance vents
- Ensure you have a working Carbon Monoxide alarm adjacent to all sleeping areas in your home
In case you missed one, here's an archive of past "Did You Know" reminders.
DECEMBER 2017 - Christmas Tree fires
FALL 2017 - Time Change Reminder
SEPTEMBER 2017 - Smoking is #1 cause of fatal home fires
AUGUST 2017 - Cooking safely at College & University
JULY 2017 - Water Safety
MAY 2017 - Handing, Transporting, and Storing Gasoline
APRIL 2017 - Spring BBQ Tune Up
MARCH 2017 - Cooking Is The #1 Cause of Home Fires
FEBRUARY 2017 - No Ice Is Safe Ice
NOVEMBER 2016 - Carbon Monoxide detectors are mandatory in Ontario
OCTOBER 2016 - Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors Wear Out
SEPTEMBER 2016 - Clothes Dryer Safety
AUGUST 2016 #2 - Dormitory Safety
AUGUST 2016 #1 - Lightning
JULY 2016 - Summer Property CO & Smoke Alarms
JUNE 2016 - BBQ-Grilling Safety
MAY 2016 - Portable Generators
APRIL 2016 - Fire Permit Reminder
MARCH 2016 - Change The Clocks Change The Batteries
FEBRUARY 2016 - Fire Permits