Welcome to the Midland Police Services Board Page!
Effective February 8, 2018, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) began policing the Town of Midland.
OPP Southern Georgian Bay Detachment Action Plan - 2017-2019
What is the Police Services Board?
Every municipality in Ontario that contracts with the OPP or that has a municipal police force must have a civilian police services board. Police services boards are independent bodies established by provincial legislation called the Police Services Act. The boards represent community interests and are accountable to the Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services, and the Ontario Civilian Police Commission.
How does the OPP Policing in Midland affect the Midland Police Services Board?
The current Midland Police Services Board continues to represent community interests in policing. The Board's specific responsibilities are now governed by Section 10 of the Police Services Act.
Please click here for more information on Section 10 Boards.
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of the Board?
With OPP policing the Board's role under Section 10 is to:
- Participate in the selection of the Detachment Commander of the Southern Georgian Bay Detachment;
- Generally determine objectives and priorities for police services, after consultation with the Detachment Commander;
- Establish, after consultation with the Detachment Commander, any local policies with respect to police services (but the board shall not establish provincial policies of the OPP with respect to police services);
- Monitor the performance of the Detachment Commander;
- Receive regular reports from the Detachment Commander; and
- Review the Detachment Commander's administration of the complaints system under Part V (PSA), and receive regular reports from the Detachment Commander on his or her administration of the complaints system.
How may I contact the Board?
Citizens may wish to contact the Board to bring forward concerns about crime prevention and public safety within our community. For inquiries, please contact:
705-526-4275 ext. 2223
If you wish to make a deputation to the MPSB, please use the below form, which includes procedural information.
Deputation Request Form
Who are the members of the Police Services Board?
The Midland Police Services Board (MPSB) has five(5) members: two members of Town Council, two citizens appointed by the Province as community representatives, and one citizen appointed by Town Council as a community representative.
To be considered for membership by appointment by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, please see the attached application and information sheet.
MPSB Board Meetings, Agendas & Minutes
The Board currently meets a minimum of 4 times per year in the Council Chambers in the Town of Midland Municipal Office. Citizens are welcome to attend meetings. Please check the Town's website calendar for dates. Agendas and minutes are posted below.