Update – March 27, 2020
1) Is it safe to handle mail and parcels?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) and Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) have assured us it is safe to handle mail, including international mail.
- According to the PHAC, there is no known risk of coronaviruses entering Canada on parcels or packages. In general, because of poor survivability of coronaviruses on surfaces, there is a low risk of spread from products or packaging shipped over a period of days or weeks. Currently, there is no evidence of COVID-19 being transmitted by imported goods or packages.
2) Regional Opportunities Investment Tax
- The Ontario Government has introduced a Regional Opportunities Investment Tax that will give businesses a 10% refundable tax credit for certain investments made in regions outside of Ottawa and the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
3) Property Assessment Postponed
- The provincial government is postponing the assessment update for 2021. Assessed values for 2021 will be based on the same valuation date as they are for 2020. There will be no financial impact for municipalities as a result of this postponement. MPAC will continue to update assessment rolls to reflect new construction. Technical details related to this postponement will be determined in the months ahead.
4) Message from Dr. Charles Gardner – Medical Officer of Health, SMDHU
- “As much as possible", everyone needs to take steps to limit the number of people they come into close contact with, including those employed at essential workplaces."
- Anyone who has new cold-like/respiratory symptoms (regardless of travel history), and has not been tested for COVID-19, is to self-isolate at home for 14 days, or until their symptoms have resolved, whichever is longer.
- Link for more information Public Health Agency of Canada at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms.html
5) Where would we be without our IT Department?!
- Kudos to the Town of Midland IT Team who have been going above and beyond to ensure we all have the tools we need to continue our work during this unprecedented time. From all accounts, every need has been met and then some, whether it's been network access, equipment or accessories. We could not have continued our work without their amazing efforts!
- A reminder that if you want to send them kudos yourself, or if you have you have IT issues, email email@example.com.
All staff must pre-screen daily using the Pre-Screen poster on the entrance doors prior to entry to any Municipal Facility.
Any changes within a department will now be provided to Randy to be included in an update and copied to HR@midland.ca for tracking.
Previous Staff Updates