The Midland Fire Department is a composite fire department that consists of a Fire Chief, a Deputy Fire Chief, a Fire Prevention Officer, a Training Officer, 10 Career Firefighters, 20 Volunteer Firefighters, and an Executive Assistant.
The Department is housed at 550 Bayshore Drive. The station has a four bay double depth apparatus area, administration offices, and a training room. On the grounds at the front of the building are a Fire Fighter Memorial and a Bell.
For more information, pictures make sure you "like" us on our MFD Facebook page, or follow Chief Ryan's twitter page @ChiefRyanMFDPFD.
The primary mission of the Midland Fire Department is to provide a range of programs to protect the lives and property of the inhabitants of Midland from the adverse effect of fires, sudden medical emergencies or exposure to dangerous conditions created by person or nature.
Circa 1914, the Federal Building was built on King Street in the Town of Midland. It had a tower with a clock and a bell.
The bell was manufactured by John Smith & Sons, Midland Clockworks, Derbyshire, England. The base of the bell is about 36 inches it weighs 740 pounds.
In 1978, for some reason, the Town Fire Department inherited the bell. As part of the 125th anniversary ceremonies of the Town there was a plan to mount the bell (at eye level) in front of the current fire hall.
Reinhart Weber of Weber Manufacturing Ltd. in Midland volunteered to have his company design and create the mounting plate for the Bell. The Fire Department is very grateful to Weber Manufacturing for their donation.
The official unveiling took place on Friday, October 24, 2003, at 11:00 a.m. at the Fire Department Headquarters as part of the 125th anniversary of the incorporation of Midland as a village.
550 Bayshore Drive, Midland, Ontario L4R 5E7
General Telephone: 705-526-4279 ext. 2239